Cypress Village HOA Forum Index Cypress Village HOA
A forum for our community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Entrance Lighting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cypress Village HOA Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Entrance Lighting Reply with quote

We have completed all the entrance lighting (with the exception of Magnolia). Our neigborhood is now much more visible from Harkey making it easier for people to find our streets. By going with solar lighting vs. conventional lighting the HOA is saving our home owners almost $10,000 in electric bills per year.

The Magnolia entrance will be completed once the Magnolia contruction is completed.
ChadHammons
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Entrance Lighting Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
We have completed all the entrance lighting (with the exception of Magnolia). Our neigborhood is now much more visible from Harkey making it easier for people to find our streets. By going with solar lighting vs. conventional lighting the HOA is saving our home owners almost $10,000 in electric bills per year.

The Magnolia entrance will be completed once the Magnolia contruction is completed.

Whoa. That math is way off.

Assume you put a 100W flood light at each sign (which is more light than what is there right now, btw). That's 900W total. We get approximately 3994 hours of dark every year.

That's a grand total of 3594.6 kWh.

Assuming the absolute most expensive fixed rate power available to our zip code, that's $0.173 per kWh.

That's $622 / year.

Even if you double the lighting per sign, you only come up with 12% of your $10,000.

Please explain your assumptions and math.

Does the $20,000 the board has already spent include magnolia? Or is that another couple of thousand dollars?
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Entrance Lighting Reply with quote

The proffessional advice we were given was that the cost would be more than $600 per month.

The Mangolia portion has not yet been paid as the service has not occurred.
ChadHammons
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Entrance Lighting Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
The proffessional advice we were given was that the cost would be more than $600 per month.

The Mangolia portion has not yet been paid as the service has not occurred.

"professional advice" yes. by someone who wanted you to pay them $20,000 to install lighting.

Seriously, Rob. $10,000 a year for nine lights?

If you used the LEDs we have now, that's only 25W/light, and it cuts the cost by 75%. That brings your price to $155/year. You could use a cheaper commercial fixed rate plan, and cut your price to around $107/year.

Maybe these people did their math wrong, and put their decimal in the wrong place. Because now, I'm down to a factor of 100 off of your number.

Please, please tell me that you have some real information to back this up. Otherwise, I'm just embarrassed that our HOA got taken in as suckers that easy.

Did anyone bother to do the math on this one?
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Entrance Lighting Reply with quote

Chad,

I am sorry you feel that way. The board unanimously approved going with solar lighting. I stand by our decision.
ChadHammons
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it doesn't really matter since you've already spent the money, huh?

But don't try to go back and make it seem like you're a hero.

Be truthful with people. Admit that you made a mistake. You didn't check your facts, and quite possibly, you were irresponsible with HOA money. (that's not something I say lightly)

And you really need to cite your source on that $10,000/year number. I'd really hate for people to think that you might have just made up a completely fictitious number just to make your decision seem better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cypress Village HOA Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: